Submitted by Mary M.K. Schwarts, Seymour, Mo.
• 2 C herd-seasoned stuffing mix
• 1/3 C butter or margarine, melted
• 1/4 C water
• 1/2 C milk
• 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) cream of chicken or cream of celery soup
• 1 1/2 C cubed turkey or chicken
• 1 C frozen, loose packed peas
• 1 small can sliced mushrooms, drained
• 1/2 tsp dried sage (crushed) or poultry seasoning
In a medium bowl, combine stuffing mix, melted butter and water. Press stuffing mixture into the bottom and almost all of the way up the sides of a greased 1 1/2-quart casserole dish. In another medium bowl, stir milk into soup, stir in the turkey, peas, mushrooms and sage. Spoon mixture into the stuffing-lined casserole dish. Bake covered at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through. Note: In this recipe, it is best to use leftover roasted turkey or chicken, as deli turkey or chicken and bring an abundance of salty flavor to the dish.