Producers can file for additional CFAP funds

With the continued affects of the Coronavirus pandemic, the USDA is implementing a second round of the Coronavirus Food Assistance Program (CFAP). CFAP 2 is for agricultural producers who continue to face market disruptions and associated costs because of COVID-19. 

Announced on Sept. 7, CFAP 2 has allotted up to $14 billion to provide eligible producers in the U.S. with financial assistance that gives them the ability to absorb some of the increased marketing costs associated with the COVID-19 pandemic. Eligible commodities for CFAP 2 payments include: row crops, wool, livestock (excluding breeding stock), specialty livestock (animals commercially raised for food, fur, fiber or feathers), floriculture and nursery crops, aquaculture products, broilers and eggs, and tobacco. 

Producers who applied for CFAP 1 can apply for CFAP 2. They are two separate programs, according to the USDA. 

There is no requirement for CFAP 2 applicants to have participated in CFAP 1. 

To apply for CFAP 2, new customers to the USDA should reach out to their local Farm Service Agency (typically located inside USDA Service Centers). The FSA will work with producers to fill out the application, and will also require the following information: name and address, Tax Identification Number, farm operating structure, adjusted gross income compliance certification to ensure eligibility and direct deposit information for payment. 

If a producer received a payment with CFAP 1, the office should have this information on file. Before visiting a USDA Service Center to apply in person, check the location’s COVID-19 protocols. Most locations are requiring pre-scheduled appointments and face coverings. Applications can also be filled out online. Producers whose applications are accepted will receive payment shortly after approval. Payment calculators can be found on the USDA website.

On top of the CFAP 2, the USDA is also offering producers other flexibility and programs to ease the financial burden on producers; dumped milk adjustments, crop insurance flexibilities, farm loan flexibilities, crop acreage reporting, animal mortality disposal payments, and commodity loan flexibilities are available. Producers should reach out to their USDA Service Center or visit the USDA website to learn more.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here